Monday 10 March 2014

Grammar - Every and All

A. Every

The rules:
1.    It is used with a singular noun.
·         Alan has been to every country in Asia.
·         Every year we go to China for a holiday.
·         She looks happy every time I see her.

2.    A singular verb is used after every…:
·         Every house on this street is huge. (not ‘are the same’)
·         Every country has a national anthem. (not ‘have’)

        Every                    v            All

Every student in the class passed the History exam.
All the students in the class passed the History exam.
Every country has a national anthem.
All countries have a national anthem.

   
    B. Every day and all day

    Every day = on all days          V             All day = the complete                                                                            day

  1. How often do you drink coffee?
  2. Every day.
The weather was terrible yesterday. It snowed all day.

Ben surfs the internet for about 2 hours every evening.

* also every morning/night/summer etc.


I was ill yesterday, so I slept all day. (=the whole day)

* also all morning/night/summer etc.


C.  Everybody (or everyone) / everything / everywhere

Everybody/everyone (people)
·         Everybody/everyone needs family and friends.

Everything (things)
·         I’m so glad I already have everything I need.

Everywhere (places)
·         I’ve looked everywhere but I still can’t find my car keys.


Note:
Use a singular verb after everybody/everyone/everything:
·         Everyone has personal problems. (not ‘Everyone have’)


No comments:

Post a Comment