Saturday 29 November 2014

Grammar - Before v After v During v While


 Before     After     During     While

 A.    Before     During     After
  • Many people get nervous before the final exams.
  • I fell asleep during the film.
  • We were tired after our visit to the zoo.

 B.    Before     While       After
  • Don’t forget to lock all the doors before you go out later.
  • My grandmother often falls asleep while she’s watching television.
  • They went home after they finished shopping.

 C.    During     While       For
 We use during + noun (during the exams). We use while + verb (while I’m    studying):
  • We hardly spoke during the meal.
  • We hardly spoke while we were eating. (not ‘during we were eating’)

 We use for  a period of time (five days/ three hours/ six years etc)
  • I lived in Beijing for a year. (not ‘during a year’)
  • We played tennis for three hours. (not ‘during three hours’)

 D.    Before/after  +  -ing (before sleeping / after playing etc)

  • I always have breakfast before going to the gym. (not ‘before to go’)
  • After doing the shopping, they went for dinner. (not ‘after to do’)
  • I started exercising after having my breakfast. (not ‘after to have’)

No comments:

Post a Comment