Saturday 11 April 2015

Grammar - Still, Yet and Already




A.            Still = sth is the same as before
Ø      I had a heavy meal two hours ago but I’m still hungry. (= I was hungry earlier on and I’m hungry now)

Ø      ‘Have you bought your car?’     ‘No, I’m still undecided about which car to buy.’

Ø      ‘Do you still walk to work?’      ‘No, I take the subway now.’


B.            Yet = until now
Yet is used in negative sentences (He hasn’t eaten yet.) and in questions (Has he eaten yet?). Yet is usually placed at the end of a sentence:
Ø      A: Where’s Kent?
    B: He hasn’t arrived yet.

Ø      A: Are you ready to leave yet?
    B: Not yet. I still want to order dessert.

Ø      A: What are you doing this weekend?
    B: I don’t know yet. I might go dancing.


C.             Already = earlier than expected
Ø      ‘I’m going to load all the boxes into the car.’       ‘I’ve already done that.’   

Ø      Wendy won’t be joining us for dinner tonight. She’s already got dinner plans with her friends.


Ø      ‘What time is Dave coming over?’      ‘He’s already here.’

No comments:

Post a Comment