Saturday 13 June 2015

Homonyms - Bear (As a noun and verb)



Bear
1.   (verb) – to accept or endure something (usually unpleasant)
Ø     I made a poor decision recently. Asa result, I have to bear full responsibility for it.
Ø     John couldn’t bear to see the poor lady begging for food. So, he bought her some food.

2.   (verb) – have or continue to have something
Ø     Sally bears a strong resemblance to her aunt.
Ø     I was upset when my favourite pen, which bears my name has gone missing.
Ø     Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll bear it in mind     (= remember and consider).

3.   (verb) – support
Ø     The chair couldn’t bear Gary’s weight and collapsed when he sat on it.

4.   (verb) – produce
Ø     When his wife finally bore him a son, Frank was over the moon (= extremely happy).

5.   (noun) – a large, strong, wild animal

Ø     Bears may be large animals, but they can move fairly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment