Tuesday 26 January 2016

Homonyms - Leave (As a Verb)


1.  (verb) – go away
Ø     He left the restaurant by the back door.
Ø     Hurry up! The bus leaves in 10 minutes.

2.  (verb) – didn’t take
Ø     John left without his house keys in his hurry to work.
Ø     You can leave the kids with us on Friday if you can’t find a nanny.

3.  (verb) – remain
Ø     If I give you $50, that won’t leave me enough cash to buy the groceries.
Ø     Many people were left homeless and without water or electricity when a hurricane hit the small town.

4.  (verb) – not use at all
Ø     Is there any milk left at home?

5.   (verb) – stop
Ø     Many children leave school (for college) at the age of 17.
Ø     Lionel left work three months ago for health reasons.

6.   (verb) – end relationship
Ø     He left his girlfriend after he got a better job offer abroad (=overseas).

7.   (verb) – after death
Ø     Mr Goodman passed away from a heart attack, leaving a wife and three children.


8.   (verb) – give responsibility
Ø     I left the decision to my parents.
Ø     Leave the car with me, and I’ll see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment