Friday 3 January 2014

I am doing (Present Continuous)

The laws of the present continuous:
1.    am/is/are + ing
2.    used to show that an action is going on at the time of speaking or writing or is planned for the future

·         I’m eating. ( or I’m not…)
·         Chris is sending an email.
·         Nicole isn’t eating. (or She’s not eating)
·         Your mobile phone is ringing.
·         We’re enjoying our ice-cream.
·         You’re not listening at all. (or You aren’t…)
·         The children aren’t studying.

Am/is/are + -ing = something is happening now.

Past --------------- NOW --------------- Future

  1. Please be quiet. I’m studying. (=I’m studying now)
  2. The weather is great at the moment. It’s not raining.
  3. ‘Where are the children?’      ‘They’re having a nap.’
  4. You can have the papers. I’m not reading it.


Note:
He/She/It       +      is      +      ing (eg. He’s sleeping)
We/You/They  +      are    +      ing (eg. They’re playing)
I                   +      am    +      ing (eg. I’m studying)




Spelling (Appendix 5) - Compiled from Essential Grammar in Use, Cambridge University Press














No comments:

Post a Comment