Tuesday 19 August 2014

Cheat Sheet - Professional Emails


Compiled from SME May 2014





Hi everyone!

Hope you found the article above useful. I just wanted to add on to some of the things mentioned above:
  • As correctly pointed out in the article, try to keep the use of acronyms to a minimum as it reflects on your level of professionalism.
  • I can’t stress how important it is to check for spelling and punctuation. For instance, I just got an email from a travel agency. I have yet to open the email, but from my phone, I was able to make out the first sentence of the email. It read like this,

    Dear Ms May,
     Greetings! Kinkily refer to the……

I’m sure some of you would be smirking or chuckling upon reading this. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me laugh. Granted it’s nothing serious, but what is your first impression of this company? More importantly, would you want to do business with this company? Getting to the point is also crucial as everyone is pressed for time. If you can link your subject title to the content of your email, that would also help your clients, customers or associates to gauge the urgency of your email and respond accordingly. For instance, I was recently looking for an English-speaking tour to Taipei. So, when I emailed a few travel agencies, my subject title was ‘Seeking English-speaking tours to Taipei’. The subject title itself indicates that I’m a potential customer. As such, I would most likely get a reply within the next 48 hours.



For those of you who are in need of proof-reading services for your assignments, projects or presentations, please feel free to contact me at maynaik23@gmail.com.








No comments:

Post a Comment