Monday 4 August 2014

Homophones - Missed V Mist


Missed (verb) - past simple of miss
1.  to fail or to do or experience something
·         We missed the start of the movie because we got caught in traffic.
·         I missed breakfast this morning, so I’m starving now.
·         I’m glad I missed the rush hour or I would have taken more than an hour to get here.
2.  to arrive too late to catch a bus, train, plane etc
·         Sam was really annoyed that he missed the last bus back to his place.
3.  to not attend something
·         We missed Sean’s birthday party last week. So, we have to think of an excuse before we see him again.
4.  to fail to hit or avoid something or someone.
·         James was really lucky the bullet missed his heart by a few centimeters.
·         The naughty boy threw a ball at his sister but he missed.
5.  to fail to notice someone or something
·         People kept telling me that John was at my party last night but I never saw him. I suppose I must have missed him.


Mist (noun) – a thin fog
  • John left for work shortly after the early morning mist cleared.



No comments:

Post a Comment